Russell has considerable experience in complex shipping disputes in the Commercial Court and in arbitration (LMAA; SIAC, LCIA). He is regularly instructed by clients of all sizes, including state owned shipping entities, ship and superyacht owners, banks, ports, logistic companies and their insurers. He works particularly closely with Greek, Belgian, Italian and Asian markets, and spent the early part of his career on in-house secondment at a leading London insurer.
- Acting for tanker owners in relation to substantial charterparty disputes against a Latin-American State-owned oil company;
- Instructed by several major port operators in relation to various liability, crane, fire and damage claims;
- Acted for the successful Chinese buyer of oil cargo in a complex jurisdictional dispute against demise charterers: Pan Ocean Co. Ltd v. China-Base Group Co. Ltd  EWHC 982 (Comm);
- Acting for a superyacht owner in relation to claims against a leading shipyard for delay in delivery;
- Acting for shipowners in relation to an ongoing Charterparty frustration dispute;
- Acted for the successful claimants and in subsequent Malaysian enforcement proceedings in a dangerous cargo claim following a container ship fire: Kestrel v Irfaz